[MPlayer-users] Feeling like a newbie

Robert Bateman bobbateman at sequoiallc.com
Fri Nov 5 17:22:46 CET 2004

Imagine my joy today at finding such a nice media player - MPlayer.

Being a non-newbie to Linux, I downloaded the RPM's for my distro,
looked thru the requirements and even downloaded the lame modules that
my machine lacked (Fedora Core 1 is my distro...)

Following the install instructions, I did an 'rpm -Uvh
mplayer-common-1.0pre5-2.i386.rpm mplayer-1.0pre5-2.i386.rpm' and got
the expected message about lame being missing...

So I enter 'rpm -Uvh lame-3.96-1.i386.rpm lame-libs-3.96-1.i386.rpm'
thinking it will install the lame pieces onto my system.  This time I
get

warning: lame-3.96-1.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 75aa026a
error: Failed dependencies:
        lame-libs = 3.96 is needed by lame-3.96-1

Imagine my confusion!  Has anyone seen this or has a fix?  I searched
thru the archive and didn't see anything, but my search was quite
fruitless as I got a lot of extra chatter.

Thanks in advance!

Bob