[MPlayer-users] [BUGREPORT] Crash when REAL used with any -aop options

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sun Nov 7 22:42:12 CET 2004

D Richard Felker III wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 08:31:05AM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
>
>>> In any truly sane setup (leaving things like sound systems for
>>> public auditoria and so forth aside), IMO, a volume of "50% of
>>> max" will be just about equivalent to "normal listening volume";
>>> this allows the maximum possible flexibility in both directions,
>>> whether higher for easier listening at a distance (or overcoming
>>> atypical background noise) or lower to avoid distracting people
>>> to whom it *is* background noise.
>>
>> This may make sense for analog devices, but not in the digital
>> world. Unless the source is badly mastered it is impossible to
>> increase the volume by more than 10%.
>> The bias towards lower volumes seems very justified to me, as
>> lowering the volume causes hardly any problems, while rising it
>> will cause artifacts.
>> Actually the right solution would be to setup you amplifier to a
>> high enough amplification and only _decrease_ the volume with
>> filters ;-).
>
> ARRRGGGGG!!!!
> please drop this argument!!!
> if the user wants the adjust the volume, the reason is always the
> same: the source is badly mastered!!!!

...or they want to be able to hear it from Really Far Away; this happens
sometimes, more often with pure-audio files but sometimes with others as
well. It can occasionally be nice to be able to hear music playing from
anywhere in the house... though admittedly that does require speakers
capable of handling it.

> this is the case with at least 99% of dvds!

And, as I've mentioned (I think), several not-necessarily-related groups
of files I have (some but not all of which were ripped from DVDs).

> default should be middle of the bar, 0dB
> min should be -50dB or -100dB
> max should be +50dB or +100dB

Sounds reasonable to me, at least at first glance.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.