[MPlayer-users] VCD to movie file

Aaron Peterson aaron at alpete.com
Mon Nov 8 17:29:40 CET 2004

I have some VCDs that I want to convert to single movie files, I don't
care what the format is, but I don't want to lose any more quality
because the VCD video is already about as bad as I can stand.  I also
want others to be able to play the movie from windows media player.

I was going for just copying the audio and video stream to filename.mpg
with the following command:

mencoder vcd:// -of mpeg -oac copy -ovc copy -o filename.mpg

I noticed at the end of the process mencoder says

Writing AVI index...
Fixing AVI header...

and I'm wondering why it would do that with -of mpeg?  Anyway, I don't
want to create files that only mplayer can read properly.

Some of the VCDs also present warnings like:

Unknown block type, possibly non-MPEG stream!
Pos:3304.4s  98424f (19746%) 218fps Trem:  -7min   2mb  A-V:-0.068
[1041:224]
1 duplicate frame(s)!
Unknown block type, possibly non-MPEG stream!
Pos:3304.8s  98434f (19748%) 218fps Trem:  -7min   2mb  A-V:-0.068
[1041:224]
1 duplicate frame(s)!

or

Pos:   3.3s    102f (142%)   0fps Trem:   0min   0mb  A-V:0.067
[912:224]]
Skipping frame!
Error in stream: PTS earlier than SCR!:   0min   0mb  A-V:0.034
[912:224]
Error in stream: PTS to SCR delay 0 is too little!
Error in stream: PTS earlier than SCR!:   0min   0mb  A-V:0.035
[909:224]
Error in stream: PTS to SCR delay 0 is too little!

I'm wondering if mencoder can/does fix these things when it writes out
the new file, or if there is some process I can go through to make sure
the file I end up with is up to code - coherent according to RFC...

Or perhaps I'm going about this in completely the wrong way?

Aaron