[MPlayer-users] problems playing growisofs disk

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Sat Nov 13 23:30:16 CET 2004

I made a dvd-rw using growisofs, and it 'looks' ok, but my Sony DVD
player won't play it at all, and mplayer won't play it as a DVD, but
will play it if I trick it with a symlink.  Here is what I have done:

First to verify that DVD player and mPlayer play DVDs: put original  in
DVD player, hit play - see movie.  Eject, put in Linux box

$ mplayer -dvd-device /dev/dvd dvd://1

Playing dvd://1.
Reading disc structure, please wait...
DVD successfully opened.

See movie again.  good.  eject.

Use cpdvd to copy the main title to HD, eject dvd and put away DVD.
Noticed that unlike vobcopy, cpdvd doesn't create the VIDEO_TS dir.  So
create the dir and move all the files into mymovie/VIDEO_TS.

Use mplayer to verify that the files on the HD are good:

$ mplayer -dvd-device /mnt/nfs/cp3/mymovie/ dvd://1

Playing dvd://1.
libdvdread: Couldn't find device name.
Reading disc structure, please wait...
DVD successfully opened.

(movie plays.  good)

Use growisofs to burn a DVD:
growisofs -input-charset utf8 -speed=1 -dvd-compat -Z /dev/hdb -R mymovie

(Without the -R I got lower case file names, and the DVD didn't play
either.)

Put it in Sony DVD player, "can't play this disk" - put in mPlayer box:

$ mplayer -dvd-device /dev/dvd dvd://1
Playing dvd://1.
Reading disc structure, please wait...
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
Can't open VMG info!

huh?
$ md5sum /mnt/auto/cdrom/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO
/mnt/nfs/cp3/mymovie/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO
                 fc1c0a39401e5c73b95549871cb9bb63
/mnt/auto/cdrom/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO
fc1c0a39401e5c73b95549871cb9bb63  /mnt/nfs/cp3/mymovie/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO

Hmm, so the file is readable, and the right bytes.

Maybe it needs to be mounted:

$ mplayer -dvd-device /mnt/dvd/ dvd://1

Playing dvd://1.
libdvdread: Attempting to use device /dev/dvd mounted on /mnt/dvd for
CSS authentication
Reading disc structure, please wait...
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
Can't open VMG info!

After some experimenting, I found that I can play the files on the DVD:

carl at LinuxBook1 playme $ ln -s /mnt/dvd/VIDEO_TS/
carl at LinuxBook1 playme $ mplayer -dvd-device /home/carl/playme/ dvd://1
Playing dvd://1.
libdvdread: Couldn't find device name.
Reading disc structure, please wait...
DVD successfully opened.

(movie plays.  good)

At this point I am wondering why mplayer will play the movie if I create
the symlinks, but not 'directly' - I am guessing if I can fix that I
have a shot at my Sony DVD player playing it.

So... Any suggestions?

ck