[MPlayer-users] May be atupid question/requirement

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at tiscali.it
Sun Nov 21 11:00:43 CET 2004

VJ wrote:

> Hi,
>     I was just wondering if this functionality is already present or
> can be implemented, if not present, in mplayer. I capture programs
> using MythTV and encode them to mpeg2video using mencoder using
> 2-pass. Quality is perfect. After encoding I use Ulead DVD
> MovieFactory for make DVD's. I see that it has to
> demultiplex/remultiplex the video and audio streams to get VOB
> compatible files/streams. Is it possible to have this in mencoder
> itself so that the time of demultiplex/remultiplex is saved? I assume
> that streams are multiplexed during encoding as well when mencoder
> writes to ouput file. It will be great if mencoder starts supporting
> something like following
>
> -of vob
> -of vcd
> -of avi (it does already)
> -of mpeg(it does already)
>
> Thanks and regards from
> VJ
>
> PS: I know about mplex program but I am being just too lazy :-) and I
> want this mencoder thing to be my swiss-army knife for my encoding
> purposes.

you may try this patch, but it's still under heavy development; I've
been successfully using it for some time noe,
so it should work well. Use it this way:

./mencoder -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd -ovc ... -oac ... -o file.mpg
<original file>

You can also use some additional parameters (in -mpegopts) such as
init_apts, init_vpts and init_adelay
(only negative at the moment) to fix asynchrony.

The final file can be passed to dvdauthor.

Please let me know if it works for you.

    Nico