[MPlayer-users] Cannot compile: `CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT' undeclared

Torinthiel torinthiel at megapolis.pl
Sun Nov 21 17:39:44 CET 2004

On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 08:00:32AM -0800, Scott Leighton wrote:
>    According to a posts on the suse-e mail list,

Comments are only partial, as I'm just one of docs maintainers, not
a real developer (hope at least one is reading it now)

> " It's mplayer that isn't including the correct files. The files
> in /usr/include belong to glibc. They're not meant to be up to date with the
> kernel. If a program needs up to date, kernel specific includes ... they
> should acquire them in /lib/modules/<version>/build/include ... that is the
> official way to do it.
>
> From what I can see, is that some of the developers of MPlayer are debian
> users. It used to be a practice there, to make /usr/include/linux a link to
> the kernel headers, as well as /usr/include/asm."

Not only Debian. I use PLD, a rpm-based distro (although it's made from
scratch AFAIK, not a RH clone), and it's the same.

> "If it doesn't compile kernel modules mplayer should access kernel includes.
> Actually glibc needs some, but it has its own independent copy.

Then why the hell glibc cannot use kernel includes? I thought code
duplication was more then deprecated.

> Accessing kernel includes with no need would be a bug in Mplayer."

These are needed by fbdev, almost as close to kernel as possible in Linux.
So I'd guess it's with need.

> "The official way to compile kernel modules for the current kernel
> is to use /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/include for includes.
> But it shouldn't be needed for any user space programs."

$ ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/include
ls: /lib/modules/2.4.25/kernel/include: No such file or directory

Again, plain kernel. Where is this text from? 'cos I don't see it
correct. Oh, and a few lines earlier there was a different path:
$ ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/build/include
ls: /lib/modules/2.4.25/kernel/build/include: No such file or directory

>    It's all over my head, but bottom-line, from a user perspective, it
> would be nice if the mplayer and SuSe guys would agree on where
> this stuff should be so it just works.

True. I'd like that too.
Torinthiel

--
 Waclaw "Torinthiel" Schiller       GG#: 542916, 3073512
   torinthiel(at)megapolis(dot)pl