[MPlayer-users] ER - recognize standard playlist

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sun Nov 21 23:20:11 CET 2004

Hi,
> Apparently there is some work to make a standardized "play list" that
> various readers/writers can use to help organize files.  This seems like
> a good idea: give the viewer (mplayer) the path to the root of a fs (CD,
> camera memory chip, etc.) and it will find the play list and play the
> specified files.  Kinda like a DVD menu, only generic enough to handle
> more than just movies on DVD's.
>
> The best link I have seen is
> http://www.softarch.com/us/press/ostampv.htm  which links to a spec
> http://www.osta.org/specs/pdf/MultiAudio110.pdf

I didn't read it in detail, but it sounds like pure overkill to me what
they are doing, and doesn't seem to support that many features...
Anyway, it would be a lot of work to implement, I wouldn't assume anyone
will do that anytime soon (is at all)...

> Anyone know of anything else like this?  I figure if such a thing is
> coming, I might as well put the playlist on my CD's now, cuz it is hard
> to later ;)

Yes, a file containing a list with all the filenames, one per line. I
think nearly every program supports that (and if not a simple shell
script or even xargs alone can help)...

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger