[MPlayer-users] splitting a video and subtitle file

Torinthiel torinthiel at megapolis.pl
Mon Nov 22 09:12:40 CET 2004

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 10:05:05AM +0200, Hillel Chayim Yisraeli wrote:

> Hi, I have a 1400 MB video and an Srt subtitle file to go with it.  I
> need to split it up into two chunks of 700MB so that I can fit it on
> 700MB cd's for a friend who doesn't have a dvd drive.  Splitting the
> video's no problem with mencoder or with avisplit, but splitting the
> subtitle file and keeping the sync of the video/subs seems problematic.
> Does anybody have an idea what I can do about this?

I'd try converting this to MPsub (with -dumpmpsub option) and then
splitting should be easier (as MPsub is based on offsets, so it's just
one subtitle to correct, see
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/subosd.html#mpsub ) and then
convert it back to anything you use. Never done this myself however, and
I guess there are programs to do this - I just don't know them.

> Maybe I can put the subtitle stream into the avi?  Would that do the
> trick?  Or, is there a way to actually burn the subtitles right onto the
> picture, losing the ability to turn them off?  Since I'll be keeping the
> original myself, I don't mind doing this to his copy.

-vf expand=0:0:0:0:1
Torinthiel

--
 Waclaw "Torinthiel" Schiller       GG#: 542916, 3073512
   torinthiel(at)megapolis(dot)pl