[MPlayer-users] Cannot compile: `CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT' undeclared

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Nov 22 23:35:47 CET 2004

On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 09:59:14PM +0200, Jan Knutar wrote:
> > No, it's an "we've changed the policy again" issue.
> > IMHO they have either to provide correct headers in /usr/include
> > that work correctly together, or they have to make symlinks
> > on boot time. Otherwise they will just break all software out there
> > that is using kernel headers "the (old) official way"
>
> There's a separate package in debian to pull in the headers. Whether
> this is a good idea or not is questionable. Supposedly glibc can break
> in spectacular ways if you replace the OS specific headers underneath
> it with something else than it was compiled against.

this is what the glibc developers argue, but it's blatently false.
glibc, unlike libc5, explicitly DOES NOT DEPEND on kernel headers.
that is to say, including the glibc header files does not implicitly
include any kernel headers. the ONLY PURPOSE of the kernel headers to
a userspace app is to get struct definitions, #defines, etc. to use
with the ioctl() call & friends, and these are totally orthogonal to
anything related to libc.

rich