[MPlayer-users] Re: Closed caption on svcd and dvd

Michael Graham oobermick at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 29 13:26:08 CET 2004

RC wrote:
> Michael Graham <oobermick at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I have a couple of (x)svcd mpegs which claim to have closed caption
>> (CC) on them and was wondering if it was possible to play the CC on
>> mplayer. I have tried -subcc to no avail.
>
> They might call it "closed caption" but no doubt it's actually
> "subtitles".  Using -sid  should work.  Try "mplayer -v vcd://2
> -frames 0" and a list of available subtitles should be in there.

Thanks for the quick reply :)

I tried this and I didn't see anything that looked like subtitles (note
that it's a vcd mpeg not a actual vcd). Also I am seeing lines at the top
of the screen and I thought that this was caused by the CC[1].

Do you know of any programs for GNU/Linux which would be able to tell if
the file contained CC or not?

--
OoberMick

[1] From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_captioning

For all types of NTSC programming, captions are "encoded" into Line 21 of
the vertical blanking interval - a part of the TV picture that sits just
above the visible portion and is usually invisible.