[MPlayer-users] apps to hint files?

Ricardo Kleemann ricardo at americasnet.com
Fri Oct 1 15:58:57 CEST 2004

Hi,

What are the available options in linux for hinting mp4 files?

I'm using mencoder to encode mpeg4 into avi format, then I use ffmpeg to
convert from avi to mp4 format. However, the resulting file is not hinted.

One question, does the hinting process cause the file to grow tremendously
in size?

I've tried both MP4Box and mp4creator in order to hint the files, but have
had some trouble. Seems MP4Box is taking forever to do whatever it needs to
do, and when I used mp4creator, the file size increased from 40M to 100M.

So I'm confused.

Does anyone know of another utility I can use in linux to hint mp4 files?

Thanks