[MPlayer-users] "Too many video packets in the buffer" playing a merged file

Alessandro Di Rubbo evanescenti at graffiti.net
Sat Oct 2 01:57:35 CEST 2004

On Fri Oct 1 20:53:01 CEST 2004, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 06:20:37PM +0100, Alessandro Di Rubbo wrote:
> [...]
> > ---> AUDIO.ogg is OK.
>
> are you sure it's ok? in my experience oggenc is totally broken with
> regard to wav header handling, and cuts off before reaching the end.
> you might need to handle it all as raw (headerless) audio...

I haven't noticed any problem, ogg files are as long as wav files,
but I'll try raw audio as input, if that is a safer way. Thanks.

> > mencoder dvd://1 -chapter 1-9 -noodml -nosound -o /dev/null -ovc lavc
> > -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1000:v4mv:vpass=1:mbd=2:trell:cbp:keyint=125
> > -vf crop=$CROP,scale=$SCALE
>
> NEVER EVER use -nosound unless you actually intend for the final movie
> to have no sound!!! it will ruin a/v sync. Use -oac copy.

A mistake in Moritz Bunkus's "DVD ripping and transcoding with Linux" and a
mistake of mine: read always man pages (anyhow never any problem encoding a
single avi and mkv-merging with an ogg file). Thanks again.

> > cat MOVIE_MUTE.avi CREDITS_MUTE.avi > WRONG_INDEX_VIDEO.avi
> >
> > mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -o VIDEO.avi -forceidx WRONG_INDEX_VIDEO.avi
>
> why are you encoding credits separately anyway?? this nasty hack is
> bound to make trouble. the "merging avis" thing is a total hack, and
> so if you do it and it works, great, but if not, don't report it as a
> bug. it's not meant to work!

In another guide, whose name I don't remember, I've read that it's better
encoding credits at a lower bit rate because all that black makes credits
bit rate bigger than full movie bitrate, and hence makes lower the quality
of movie parts that aren't credits. I've written already, in another message,
that it's impossible, at the moment, use the mencoder -ss option (and
vrc_override,too) with DVD as source, so my last chance is encoding credits
chapters, separately. What do you think about?

Alessandro
Graffiti.net free e-mail @ www.graffiti.net
Check out our value-added Premium features, such as a 1 GB mailbox for just US$9.95 per year!