[MPlayer-users] "Too many video packets in the buffer" playing a merged file

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Sun Oct 3 10:47:03 CEST 2004

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 10:54:44PM +0100, Alessandro Di Rubbo wrote:
>> P.S. To rich. You wrote: "NEVER EVER use -nosound unless you actually
>> intend for the final movie to have no sound!!!",
>> but if I want to create a Matroska (mkvmerging
>> a SINGLE .avi and an external .ogg) can I use -nosound option? As
>> I've said already, I've notice no problem doing that.
>
> No, you cannot. It may work with some dvds, but a/v sync might be
> slightly off, and with many it will be VERY wrong. Absolutely NEVER
> use -nosound when encoding unless you intend for your FINAL movie to
> have no sound (and thus no need for any sync). If you're going to
> mkvmerge, you MUST keep audio with the file while processing it with
> mencoder, due to the fact that mencoder sucks. Either use -oac copy or
> -oac pcm with very low samplerate so it doesn't take up so much space
> or cpu time.

What does mencoder's sucking have to do with that? If you retain all the
video frames and all the audio samples, how could the rip have any worse
synch than the original?
If you're saying that the video isn't quite 24000/1001 fps, or that the
audio isn't exactly 48000 Hz, then I could imagine a/v desynch.
But in practice, length of the soundtrack is always equal to the length
of the video to within one frame's duration, and I've never seen desynch
in the middle.
Note: I don't use "mencoder -nosound", but rather I filter video through
Avisynth, which happens to discard the sound. Is that any different?

--Loren Merritt