[MPlayer-users] lavc acodec

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at tiscali.it
Sun Oct 3 12:29:52 CEST 2004

Ricardo Kleemann wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm having trouble getting mencoder to accept different codecs.
>
>Maybe the correct question is, how do I know what codecs my installation
>supports? In codecs.conf I see a lot of codecs, but many or most of them
>don't seem to be supported (I don't know how to tell).
>
>For example, I've tried using the parameters "-oac lavc -lavcopts
>acodec=xxx" such as:
>acodec=faad
>acodec=mp3
>acodec=mp4a

the ones that are know to work are: mp2, ac3, various flavours of pcm and
adpcm_ima; mp3 works too if you configured ffmpeg to use it, but
it doesn't make any sense, because mencoder has its own lame front-end,
that is much more tweakable than lavc's.
faac (I call it faargh, guess why ?) and derivatives + ogg don't work.
Recently Sopnic was added, but I never tried it

>etc...
>
>But I just get an error from mencoder,
>"Audio LAVC, couldnt' find encoder for codec xxx" (fill in the appropriate
>codec)
>
>If I don't provide any acodec and just allow "-oac lavc" use its default,
>the resulting avi file does play audio fine.
>
>However, when I use mp4creator (from mpeg4ip) to hint the tracks and convert
>to mp4 format, I get another error,
>
>"audio compressor 0x50 not recognized"
>

>Is 0x50 the format identifier for the audio codec?  What would 0x50 stand
>for?  I have not yet been able to get audio played on any of the codec
>combinations I've used.

this is mp2, the default audio codec