[MPlayer-users] Video length often incorrect

Stefan Frings stefan.frings at vodafone.de
Mon Oct 4 00:24:55 CEST 2004

When I play back an mpg (reated with transcode and mplex) file with a high
bitrate, then the length is often displayed wrong. For example gmplayer shows
8 seconds but the move is 15 seconds long.

When I open the mpg file with avidemux2 and then safe it to a new filename,
then gmplayer shows the length correctly. The bitrate did not change, so I
wonder what is going wrong here. I'm not sure if this is a mplayer problem.

I use mplayer version 1.0pre4-3.3.1.

I created the movies from avi files with dv video+audi using the following
commands:

transcode -xdv,dv -i"directory_with_avifiles" -o"movie" -w12000 -F8,"-q7
-S4600" --export_asr 2 -b224 -y mpeg2enc,mp2enc

mplex -S4600 -f8 -o "movie.mpg" "movie.m2v" "movie.mpa"

The problem does not occur, when I use lower bitrates, for example "-w1800"
but then the picture quality is really bad.