[MPlayer-users] Best de-interlace filter ( NOVIRUS )

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Oct 6 11:21:15 CEST 2004

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 02:06:34AM +0200, Alexander Roalter wrote:
> Speaking of interlacing...
>
> Is there any way of overriding the mpeg decoder's setting in using the
> progressive-option from a dvd. My problem is the following:
>
> Star Trek: The Motion Picture is, as is to be expected, stored in
> progressive format on DVD, but the part from 45min until 1hrs 08 min (or
> little more) is interlaced, which means I get all the defects when panning
> movements occur. Now when I add the -vf phase=U option, this will go away
> and is correct for all interlaces movies I own, but uses way to much CPU
> for my taste (and comfort), since I'm quite under-powered with my AMD K3-400
> processor, which will lead then into a dia show.
>
> So I was wondering if there is a switch to tell the program (without any
> computations based on the image) to act as if the progressive-flag in the
> mpeg-stream had been set (always assuming there isn't a mastering error).

this is how mplayer always behaves. the frames you're talking about
are truly interlaced (rather hard telecine), i.e. the top and bottom
fields of them don't match. the only way to fix this is with an
inverse telecine filter of some sort, for which your box is basically
too slow (as you discovered with vf_phase).

you could try using vf_pullup and only processing a minimal part of
the picture, but this might still be too slow.

rich