[MPlayer-users] Capture: video buffer full - dropping frame

Martin Collins martin at mkcollins.org
Sun Oct 10 21:29:09 CEST 2004

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 19:35:50 +0200
Ulrich Schweitzer <us- at gmx.de> wrote:

> There is also a "middle way" that can make sense. Capturing to high
> bitrate (8Mbps or so) mpeg2 should be possible on any modern
> computer and will give good quality at a file size that can easily
> be handled. The resulting file can then be edited and
> 2-pass-reencoded to mpeg4. I'm pretty sure that this will give
> better quality than capturing directly to mpeg4 and it's more
> flexible, too.

Actually I use the middle way of hardware mjpeg capture. Sadly Matrox
no longer make Marvels and I don't think Pinnacle do their cards either.
LML33 may still be available but quite expensive. Only Marvels have
tuners.
Is there a frame accurate mpeg2 editor available yet?
I don't know that mpeg2 is better quality than mpeg4 with vqscale=2,
but I don't know of a frame accurate editor for mpeg4 either.
This whole area is one of trade-offs and compromises and making do
with what's available.
DV would be a good middle way, how well can mplayer capture to that?

Martin