[MPlayer-users] why is -nocache default?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon Oct 11 05:31:07 CEST 2004

D Richard Felker III wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 10:15:45PM +0300, yourself wrote:
>
>> Hiya all!
>>
>> I've been using mplayer for ages now and i really adore it. One
>> thing that recently caught my attention (mplayer started doing
>> slight pauses during playback and i was intrigued) is that at some
>> point the -nocache option is the default one instead of the old 2mb
>> if I recall correctly? It really is no problem for me specifying
>> the cache in my config, but I was just curious, why is -nocache the
>> default instead of a small 2mb one?
>
> 1. -cache will make noninterleaved avi files take 10000% cpu to play.

...I should not remotely be surprised that it isn't, but I would have
thought "non-interleaved AVI file" would be an oxymoron - given that,
y'know, the NAME stands for "Audio-Video Interleave"...

Ah, well. You learn something new every day, or at least you hope to.

> 2. -cache in generally makes mplayer slower unless you need it to
> compensate for broken hardware or slow network.

And since these (and similar "data not coming in fast enough" issues)
are the only reasons to cache before playing at all, well...

--
       The Wanderer says "well" too much

side of it.