[MPlayer-users] why is -nocache default?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon Oct 11 15:13:24 CEST 2004

Moritz Bunkus wrote:

> Hey,
>
>> ...I should not remotely be surprised that it isn't, but I would
>> have thought "non-interleaved AVI file" would be an oxymoron -
>> given that, y'know, the NAME stands for "Audio-Video Interleave"...
>
> Not even good names prevent developpers from shooting themselves and
> their users into their collective feet :) There are apps that first
> write all the video chunks and afterwards all the audio chunks
> Incredibly stupid, but no one ever said that humanity was the
> brightest invention in the cosmic history ;)

Well, yes, but I would have thought that a file which did that (and thus
did not in fact interleave the data) would not be considered a valid AVI
file, and thus would not be playable by a strict-compliance player
(which at one point would, presumably, have been the only type in
existence).

Eh... as I said, I should not remotely be surprised, and any day in
which you learn something is a good day. Thanks for the explanation.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.