[MPlayer-users] null codec(?)

Roberto Togni r_togni at tiscali.it
Tue Oct 12 23:16:02 CEST 2004

On 2004.10.12 21:19, Carl Fûrstenberg wrote:
> checked -vc help in semilatest cvs, and found this:
>
>     vc:         vfm:      status:   info:  [lib/dll]
>     (...)
>     null        null      crashing  NULL codec (no decoding!)
>
> Is this a easter-egg, or what?
Sure :)

No, it's a null decoder, it throws away input data and output no
frames. It's very useful to watch videos you don't like (or for test
purposes).

It really works, the crashing status is a lie: it's there just because
MPlayer doesn't select a "crashing" codec unless you force it with -vc
null; and you don't want MPlayer to autoselect the null codec.

Anyway, try to use it on Easter day, and watch for the big surprise!

Ciao,
 Roberto

Before anybody ask: we also have -ao null