[MPlayer-users] mga_vid or DHA kernelhelper on Linux 2.6

Stephen Mollett molletts at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 12 23:49:01 CEST 2004

Hi,

Has anyone here had any luck using mga_vid or the VIDIX DHA kernel helper
module under Linux 2.6? (I'm running 2.6.8.1 with an MGA G400)

I've tried the patched mga_vid from http://www.linuxops.net/~pw/mga_vid/ which
builds and loads successfully but just shows a dark green chroma key when I
try to play anything with -vo xmga. I've tried fiddling with the colorkey
option to no avail.

For my next attempt, I tried using VIDIX, but the kernel helper module won't
build. VIDIX itself works fine, as root, but not as a normal user. I could,
of course, have mplayer suid root, but I'd rather not do that...

Falling back to Xv doesn't work either - it just crashes out with "X11 error:
BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)" (XFree86 4.4.0)

Let me know if you want more details (eg. stdout/stderr logs) of any or all of
the above.

Regards,
Stephen