[MPlayer-users] Segmentation fault in pre5

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sat Oct 16 04:19:32 CEST 2004

Stefan Sassenberg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I frequently have segmentation faults when mencoding a movie.
> Unfortunately this happens at different positions. I can provide some
> information about this problem. I should add that I had other problems
> of similar kind that I only solved by rebuilding mencoder with
> ./configure --disable-mmx2 which I'm currently using.

Are you saying that it happens at a different position each time you try
the same command on the same file? If so, then you probably have
unstable hardware. I've found that mencoder is very intolerant of
overclocking, probably from a combination of working the CPU very hard
and the time it takes to encode.

If you are overclocking, try overclocking a little less; or, try cooling
your CPU better.

-Corey