[MPlayer-users] Re: How can I get information about how long a movie is ?

Selwyn Tang selwyn at hectrix.com
Tue Oct 19 04:44:50 CEST 2004

On 10/19/04 05:26, Baggis wrote:
> I can't find the midentify script on my Mandrake linux box. Please help ?

It's located in TOOLS/ in mplayer's source tree. Or you can use the
following options:

   $ mplayer -vo null -ao null -identify -frames 0 <filename.ext>

Look for the line "ID_LENGTH=xx".

In my experience, mplayer always returns accurate media length for .avi
and .wmv. For .mpg, it often reports 1x seconds less. For .mov, it
always has no result at all.

So, for .mpg, I use mpgtx, and for .mov, I use libquicktime.

Selwyn