[MPlayer-users] Unable to play streaming video?

Kevin DeKorte kdekorte at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 19 19:23:34 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 19 October 2004 11:05 am, Rocco van der Veer wrote:
> I am a Linux Beginner, and I am setting up a Linux system for a customer
> of mine. The possibility of using (or not using) Linus rests on one
> thing, the Linux OS, (Mplayer) should be able to play streaming video on
> a certain URL.
>
> Mplayer works on my system, and I can open quite a few links containing
> streaming video, apart from this URL:
> http://www.imb.org/videolink/viewer.asp?speed=cable&ProgKey=971.
>
> The player does not even recognize the Link and does not open the video.
> When using Win Mediaplayer, no problem.
>
> Any ideas, suggestions??/
>
> With regards,
>
> Rocco van der Veer.

From the HTML on that page

<OBJECT ID=Player width=320 height=240
CLASSID=CLSID:6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6><PARAM name=autoStart
value=True><PARAM name=URL value=http://www.imb.org/aids/asx/Intro_175.asx>
</OBJECT>

You'll notice that the OBJECT specified is using the CLASSID property to
specify Windows Media Player. Mozilla does not pass this information to any
plugin, so mplayer addons like mplayerplug-in are not notified that there is
media to be played. And so mplayer cannot process the file. If the source
page had a type attribute (this is a mimetype) specified that would help
alot.

If you install mplayerplug-in and have the user click on the download option
it will play the media in the browser.

Kevin