[MPlayer-users] mplayer doesn't recognize radeon

Marek Zachara marek.zachara at telperion.pl
Wed Oct 20 10:15:17 CEST 2004

Hi,

I have been running in circles trying to make the mplayer work with my card. I
had no other ideas now, maybe you can help me.

I have a ATI Radeon VE (aka 7000) connected via s-video to my TV.
when i run mplayer with vesa driver:

mplayer -vo -fs vesa moviefile.avi

i can see the movie on the TV, but framerate is unacceptable (probably due to
the software scaling). I have tried many other output devices to no avail:
cvidix, vesa:vidix, fbdev, svga, etc. (I have compiled in most of the vo,
only the X is left out as i dont want the whole X server just for mplayer on
that machine)

here is the output of mplayer -vo help

Available video output drivers:
        fbdev   Framebuffer Device
        fbdev2  Framebuffer Device
        svga    SVGAlib
        null    Null video output
        pgm     PGM file
        md5     MD5 sum
        mpegpes Mpeg-PES to DVB card
        yuv4mpeg        yuv4mpeg output for mjpegtools (to "stream.yuv")
        vesa    VESA VBE 2.0 video output
        cvidix  console VIDIX
        tga     Targa output

apart from vesa, which is slooow, fbdev and fbdev2 fail with:

[fbdev2] Using device /dev/fb0
[fbdev2] Can't open /dev/fb0: No such device
Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.

(although there is a node /dev/fb0)

on the other hand, mplayer -vo cvidix or mplayer -vo vesa:vidix cannot
recognize the graphics card:

vidixlib: PROBING: /usr/local/lib/mplayer/vidix/cyberblade_vid.so
[cyberblade] Can't find chip
vidixlib: PROBING: /usr/local/lib/mplayer/vidix/mach64_vid.so
[mach64] Can't find chip
vidixlib: PROBING: /usr/local/lib/mplayer/vidix/mga_crtc2_vid.so
[mga] probe
[mga] found 0 pci devices
[mga] Can't find chip
vidixlib: PROBING: /usr/local/lib/mplayer/vidix/mga_vid.so
[mga] probe
[mga] found 0 pci devices
[mga] Can't find chip
vidixlib: PROBING: /usr/local/lib/mplayer/vidix/nvidia_vid.so
[nvidia_vid] Can't find chip
vidixlib: PROBING: /usr/local/lib/mplayer/vidix/pm3_vid.so
[pm3] Can't find chip
vidixlib: PROBING: /usr/local/lib/mplayer/vidix/radeon_vid.so
[radeon] Can't find chip
vidixlib: PROBING: /usr/local/lib/mplayer/vidix/rage128_vid.so
[rage128] Can't find chip
vidixlib: PROBING: /usr/local/lib/mplayer/vidix/sis_vid.so
[SiS] Can't find chip
vosub_vidix: Couldn't find working VIDIX driver
Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.

I have kernel 2.6.8.1 with compiled drm and framebuffer support for radeon
(tried it with both modules and support comiled in the kernel, neither seem
to work)

kernel recognizes the card fine, it is also visibie in /proc/pci:

  Bus  1, device   0, function  0:
    VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon
7000/VE] (rev 0).
      IRQ 16.
      Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=8.
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe8000000 [0xefffffff].
      I/O at 0xc000 [0xc0ff].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfe8f0000 [0xfe8fffff].

I'm really stuck, dunno what could i else try to make it work :(

Marek