[MPlayer-users] NTSC DV and Colorspace and decoders

Dave Szczuka lists at szczuka.com
Wed Oct 20 15:59:59 CEST 2004

I am transcoding some DV and I have some questions.

As I understand it NTSC DV is 411P, that is 4:1:1 colorspace.  In order
to get it into mpeg2 or mpep4 I need to scale it to YV12.

My filter chain looks like this:
-vf il=d:d,scale,format=yv12,hqdn3d,il=i:i

when scaling colorspace only what is the best -sws setting?

The different dv decoders output different formats.
sony qdv and libdv output YUY2 (4:2:2)
and ffdv outputs 411P as expected.

What is going on here? Is the decoder converting the colorspace to 4:2:2
leaving me to convert it again to 4:2:0.  Which decoder should I use?