[MPlayer-users] software volume control?

James Gatt james168 at softcookie.com
Wed Oct 20 22:17:48 CEST 2004

sabre81 wrote:

>Is there a way to make the volume control in the GUI, a software type
>volume control like xmms does?  As im sure you know, the volume knob
>in the guis control the PCM/Master volume which changes total system
>volume.  Id like to be able to increase the volume in mplayer while a
>video is playing without affecting full system volume as xmms has the
>option to do.  Is it possible now?  It would be awesome to see in a
>future version/snapshot.
>Great work btw :)

Is it that you want the mplayer volume control to change a different
parameter on your mixer card, or do you want mplayer to perform the
volume control function before sending data to the sound card at all?

I have a situation similar to the first case - using the SPDIF output
from a SB Live card driven with ALSA, I want the mplayer volume control
to adjust the volume on this output as well as the regular analogue
output. The way I achieved this is by changing line 102 of
libao2/ao_alsa.c (mplayer pre5) to:

      static char *mix_name = "Wave";

The parameter "Wave" is the right one in my case (the original code was
"PCM").

Regards,
James.