[MPlayer-users] Hardware Acceleration for DVD playback

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Thu Oct 21 01:58:45 CEST 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 22:24:18 +0100
Matt <matt at mattford.net> wrote:

> I have an ATi Rage Pro 3D 8MB graphics card that claims to have MPEG-2
> decoding on it somewhere, I was wondering if it's possible to get this
> working properly

Nope.  :-)

XVMC supports hardware-accelerated mpeg1/2 playback, but it requires
X11, doesn't allow any video processing, such as deinterlacing (so it's
useless for me, and I'm sure many others) and most importantly, it's
only supported by a small number of video cards' drivers, and I don't
believe yours is one of them.

> I don't have X installed and would like to avoid having it if possible
> because I am concerned about wasting valuable processor time running
> that  as opposed to decoding DVDs.

returns, because then you can use xv (or perhaps sdl, gl, dga, etc.),
which would improve the video performance, greatly.