[MPlayer-users] trying to play a divx movie on an old viddy card

Paul Adamides adamides at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 01:10:55 CEST 2004

I'm trying to play a divx movie on a Trident Video Accelerator Blade
3d / MVP4 video card.  It is the onboard video card that comes on
compaq presario 7470 machines.  It was actually designed by VIA.  It
is now running on windows xp, and the directx version is 8.1.

When I try to play the movie, it says "cannot initialize video driver
or filter".  It also says not to use overlay and to try the following
switch: -vo directx:noaccel.

So I ran mplayer using that switch, and now I get a black screen with
audio, and no video.

I know that the movie is good because I can run it on another machine
running a geforce4 with mplayer.

Does anyone know if certain video chipsets just don't work with divx?
Is my version of directx too old?  What's going on here?