[MPlayer-users] Using mplayer to access tv-card on remote server.

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sat Oct 23 05:51:04 CEST 2004

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 23:16:19 +0200
Alex Polite <m4 at polite.se> wrote:

> I have a headless server that acts as PVR.
>
> Sometimes I want watch tv without recording. Running xawtv or mplayer
> with xforwarding over ssh is too slow.
>
> Is there someway to utilize the video device on the remote server?

Well, the data you are getting from the TV card is raw, uncompressed
video, so sending it over the network would be just as slow.  I'd just
suggest you use scale to halve or quarter the size of the video, which
will still look pretty good, and will require a lot less bandwidth,
probably making it fast enough.

Alternatively, you could encode to an easy codec like MPEG1 on the
server, then you'd only have to send a small ammount of the data over
the network.