[MPlayer-users] [BUGREPORT] Crash when REAL used with any -aop options

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon Oct 25 08:19:10 CEST 2004

D Richard Felker III wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 03:23:34PM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> soft-clipping parameter doesn't seem to be documented either).
>> Either of these could be adjusted to with a little effort, but I do
>> think I find the percentage interface more intuitive.)
>
> but no audiophile would find it intuitive... in fact adjusting volume
> in percentage makes no sense because the rate at which the volume
> changes will depend on the current volume level. +- 1 dB is always
> the same change no matter where you start, +- 1% (of original volume)
> is not.

That makes sense, yes, and I knew that there are perfectly good reasons
for using decibels rather than percentages (although if memory serves,
which it may not, the decibel notation allows for less fine-grained
control... because -af volume=20 gives me volume comparable to if not
higher than -aop list=volume:volume=200, although admittedly it's
unlistenably distorted when playing that loud through my speakers).
That's why that part of the whole thing was in the way of a
parenthetical end-note, albeit a comparatively large one.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.