[MPlayer-users] subtitle behavior

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Mon Oct 25 19:26:51 CEST 2004

On 2004-9-28 there was a cleanup of the subtitle loading code. This was
mostly for the best, however there is one function that I don't know how
to do with the current version:
I have a movie with internal subtitles, but I want to use an external
subfile instead. Previously, I used
   mplayer foo.mkv -slang null -sub bar.srt
But now that simply appends bar.srt to the list of available subs, and
still uses the first internal sub track, until I switch with 'j'.
I can select bar.srt using -sid, but the required track number depends on
how many subtitle tracks are in the movie file.

I would be happy to patch this, but I have to decide what exactly the
desired behaviour is. My proposal is that '-sub' set the default track
to the loaded file, overriding '-sid' and '-slang'.

--Loren Merritt