[MPlayer-users] Failed responses.....

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Mon Oct 25 22:20:46 CEST 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 19:22:29 +0300
Martes Wigglesworth <martes.wigglesworth at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I was wondering why everyone else's inquiries get responses except for
> mine.  I have posted like five messeges, and I don't recieve a peep.

Looking back through your most recent e-mails, you provide practically
no information.  In fact, most of the time you don't even ask a
question... basicly you just say 'something is not working, can someone
help?'

There are plenty of mplayer docs.  Any one of which would tell you that
mounting VCDs/DVDs is not the way to play them, and what to do when the
default codecs aren't working.  Another issue is that you are using the
GUI front-end, which is not really supported, so you're less likely to
get support. Posting a vague paraphrasing of an error message (instead
of the full mplayer output) will also not even allow someone to help.

If you look at those messages you are being "bombarded" with, you'll see
that the questions are more than 3 sentences, and actually include
necessary information to explain what the problem is...

> I this one of those lists that has some
> unspoken rule about how to put an inquiry together

Nope.  It's really not unspoken...
http://mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/

Besides that, this list is not manned by anyone getting paid to answer
your questions.  It's not as if there's some offical policy to ignore
your messages.  Each one of the dozens of people that commonly respond
to questions on this list, all decided not to bother.  Few people are
willing to hold hands and ask you to submit the info they need to help
you with your problems.

I hope that answers your question...