[MPlayer-users] Failed responses.....

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Mon Oct 25 23:45:46 CEST 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 23:48:43 +0300
Martes Wigglesworth <martes.wigglesworth at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I am unfamiliar with needing more information than, "my tire is flat,
> but I just bought the car

The problem is, your posts are more the equivalent of:  "My car doesn't
run right.  I tried hitting it with a hammer.  Can someone help?"

> like my .wmv problem.  I have not seen anything in my reading of the
> man/html pages that indicate how to get .wmv video to work when the
> codec is installed in the right place, and is being used to play
> video, but does not, while providing audio from the same file.

What are they supposed to tell you?  Something is wrong?

> All that I was asking for was a nice hint as to where to locate more
> documentation.

There is really no more documentation than the man pages and the HTML
docs. If you provide details of the problem, someone will be able to
help you. However, if you don't provide AT LEAST the full output from
mplayer, nobody has any way of knowing what the problem is on your
system.

> If those who are in the know, won't let anyone else, then what is the
> point of a mailing list?

If you provide no information, nobody can help you.  As I said, few are
willing to hold your hand, and ask you to provide the things that the
DOCS (ie. bugreport) already tell you to provide.

>  like a list that will actually assist the less experienced mplayer
>  users?

I don't think there are any psychic mailing lists out there.