[MPlayer-users] MPplayer and installing a new gcc version

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue Oct 26 11:20:53 CEST 2004

Hi,

> > huh?? you said something about a gcc 2.95 bug. this was just a bug in
> > demux_mkv.c, plain and simple. nothing was being compiled wrong.
>
> Well those bugs didn't seem to show-up when compiled with gcc 3.2.2.
> Call it whatever you want.

I'd call it optimization. MPlayer afaik is usually compiled
with -ffast-math, which allow floating point operations to have undefined
results in case of nan. So it might be that gcc 3.2.2 optimizes in a way
that you won't get nan, although that would be the correct result. At least
it isn't a bug in gcc 2.95...

> > > I'm just disabling libmpeg2 via configure.  Making that the default
> > > would probably eliminate hundreds of e-mails on the -user list
> > > alone...
> >
> > and make mplayer unusably slow....
>
> Huh?  ffmpeg is plenty fast.  Slightly faster than libmpeg2, according
> to the benchmarks that showed up on mplayer-dev.

I mostly hear different statements (from users on #mplayer), but I never
tried to find out myself...

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger