Antw: Re: Antw: Re: [MPlayer-users] (no subject)

nick.rienties at home.nl nick.rienties at home.nl
Wed Oct 27 14:06:43 CEST 2004

> you can't but for 2 hr of movie you can use at most ~ 5000 kb/s for
> video; typically lavc
> will top around 4500 if you clean the source with hqdn3d, and average
> even lower,
> at least when encoding with the usual size parameters; in addition a
> single pass will take
> half the time and with vqscale=2 you will get uncompromised quality.
> If you want to limit the filesize then the usual two-pass procedure is
> fine, but you have
> to calculate the right bitrate.
>
> >The Man page says the following about aspect ratio:
> >
> >Store movie aspect internally, just like with MPEG files. Much nicer than rescaling, because quality is not decreased. Only MPlayer will play these files correctly, other players will display them with wrong aspect. The aspect parameter can be given as a ratio or a floating point number.
> >EXAMPLE:
> >aspect=16/9 or aspect=1.78
> >
> >Does this mean that if autoaspect isn't used other players will play the file correctly but Mplayer won't?
> >

> the opposite: Mplayer will play it correctly, others may not. I can
> confirm that rescaling
> always reduced quality by a large factor in all my experiments

Thanks for your replies so far.

So theoretically the hqdn3d option can actually make the avi look better than the DVD source? Are the default parameters OK when using this option?

I calculated the bitrate for Resident Evil, so it would fit on a dvd5. According to my calculations the bitrate should be 6000 but in the final encode the bitrate was something like 2400-2600. So I think it has no use to calculate the bitrate when one is aiming at a dvd sized avi. Unless I would encode something like LOTR.

PS: How do I make my reply indent beneeth the root post?