[MPlayer-users] Why only progressive output? and Interlace?

eyagerlist at chartermi.net eyagerlist at chartermi.net
Fri Oct 29 18:04:18 CEST 2004

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, Xenio wrote:

> I have a lot of capture from tv/satellite with interlace frame and I
> use to view it in a tv set (pal interlaced) with tv out
>
> But mplayer encode the frame as progressive loosing all the movement
> frame to frame (due the interlace)
>
> and it's impossible to see sport events with de-interlaced video cos'
> you got a blurry picture.

I've studied the problem and found that there is no easy solution,
especially with live TV captures.  Right now the most advanced
deinterlacing video filter is kerndeint (-vf kerndeint).  It's not perfect
and it uses lots of CPU, but it seems to produce a sharper picture
compared to any of the other deinterlacing filter as it deinterlaces
parts of the picture as needed.

Of course the best method is to completely preserve the interlacing.
Easier said than done since you need a TV-out card that can actually
handle raw interlaced video instead of simply emulating a computer
monitor.

http://vektor.theorem.ca/graphics/tvout/

I think the only one that comes even close is the Matrox G* series of
video cards.

http://www.kauhajoki.fi/~peti/directfb/matrox-tv-out-howto

Eric