[MPlayer-users] Seeking in MP4 files

Torinthiel torinthiel at megapolis.pl
Thu Sep 2 17:44:20 CEST 2004

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 05:29:45PM +0200, Jürg Lehni wrote:

> So I rebuilt the mplayer with aa support now, and watched one of my
> movies through the ssh terminal (which is pretty beautifull, btw :):
>
> The movie is defenitelly not seekable. Whenever I click on right arrow,
> it jumps to the beginning of the file.
>
> Is there anything I can do about this?
>
> It would be so nice to use mplayer for the thumbnail generation.
>
> For example is there an option to tell the mplayer to skip the first n
> frames? I would be fine with that... If this option doesn't exist (I
> didn't find anything about this in the man pages), should it be added?

It's not much needed ;)
Ok, so if -idx doesn't work than either the stream is really not
seekable, which would be quite strange and nothing except recoding can
be done, or, more probably, the index is corrupt. -forceidx makest
things better?
Note, it takes some time and has to be redone on every play of the
movie.
If you know you will be using it do
mencoder -forceidx -ovc copy -oac copy file -o file2
Torinthiel

--
 Waclaw "Torinthiel" Schiller       GG#: 542916, 3073512
   torinthiel(at)megapolis(dot)pl