[MPlayer-users] Playing DAB MP2 files

Paul Webster paul at spidersweb.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Sep 2 20:21:18 CEST 2004

> On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 06:47:38PM +0100, Paul Webster wrote:
> > However, another way of doing this would be for Mplayer to have
> an even more
> > powerful autodetection method - but on the assumption that it would be
> > either too hard or imprecise to do or might add unacceptable delays at
the
> > start of some files then ...
>
> As far as I understand rawaudio it's RAW. So it's ONLY coded data. How
> do you want to differ i.e. a BMP from MPEG video, if it was not for the
> headers? Data bits looks same everywhere. I'm not an expert, but I don't
> think an autodetection is possible.

I didn't say it would be easy ;-)
However, it does have a clue through the file extension. That could narrow
the options.
If it looped through a number of different possible interpretations of the
data until it decided that it looked plausible (which could be a guided
choice through the codec.conf file) then it might work.
Anyway - hence my 2nd suggestion in the orginal email.

Paul