[MPlayer-users] (no subject)

Meino Christian Cramer Meino.Cramer at gmx.de
Tue Sep 7 10:18:07 CEST 2004

From: D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx>
Subject: Re: [MPlayer-users] (no subject)
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 03:17:47 -0400

> please start a new thread for a new topic, don't reply in an existing
> one!

  Ooops...sorry, that was not intended...

> On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 08:40:47AM +0200, Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >  is the output of PSNR generally a good way to evaluate the quality of
> >  an encoding ?
>
> psnr is a good way to evaluate whether the compressed picture matches
> the original picture you passed into the encoder well or not.
>
> >  Or is it possible to encode to a really really bad result with a
> >  really,really good PSNR value ?
>
> yes, it's possible. for example if you deinterlace when you should use
> inverse telecine, or if you break a/v sync, or if you encode with the
> wrong output framerate and drop lots of frames, or ....
>
> but assuming you've done all that right, good psnr and good quality
> should roughly correspond. how good is needed, though? that's usually
> a matter of what you're encoding, and what sort of display device
> you'll be watching it on.
>
> rich

  Thank you for the answer, Rich. That lights things up for me a lot.

  Another question is: How do I evaluate a win of say 1db in PSNR?
  Is it much (so I "can be proud of finding good parameters" ;) or is
  it just "a little bit worth the effort"... (again a > ;)

  Kind regards,
  Meino