[MPlayer-users] lavc psnr mixup

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Sep 8 08:01:03 CEST 2004

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 10:28:23PM -0700, Loren Merritt wrote:
> ... That said, while I do find that B-frames improve both psnr and
> visual quality in most real movies, I have come to agree that they still
> suck and should be replaced by some other 2nd order temporal prediction
> (3D wavelets?).

3D wavelets are just about the worst idea ever introduced in video
encoding. ;) Video is horribly undersampled in the temporal dimension,
so any sort of linear transformation in time is guaranteed to be
bogus. A few of us had a hypothesis a while back that you could first
compute motion paths through a collection of frames, and then do a 3D
wavelet transform along that motion-warped time axis, and benefit from
it, but a theory like this remains to be tested.

Rich