[MPlayer-users] rip stops at 77th minute on standalone reader

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat Sep 11 16:58:54 CEST 2004

Alain Barthélemy wrote:

> Le samedi 11 septembre 2004, 00:03:36 ou environ rcooley
> <rcooley at spamcop.net> a écrit:
>
>> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:44:13 +0200 Alain Barthélemy
>> <cassandre at bartydeux.be> wrote:
>>
>>> Thus there is something in the encoded file that makes the mpeg4
>>> file stops at the 77th minute (it happened with 3 movies always
>>> at about 77 minutes).
>>
>> Try encoding with "-noodml".  ODML was introduced about the time
>> you started having problems, and it causes problems with other apps
>> that don't have ODML support.
>
> Thank you for answer. Now I have to find what "ODML" means. The
> MPlayer manual is not obvious. It just says that it is only for avi.

I don't remember the full expansion offhand, but it's a short form of
"OpenDML", which is an extension to the AVI container which (among other
things) allows the creation of AVIs larger than 2GB without breaking the
ability to seek correctly.

> Now why does not the option -ss work when reading a DVD? Do I have to
> type:
> # mplayer -dvd-device /dev/sr0 dvd://1 -noodml -ss 600
> to have the movie start exactly (or almost because frames!) at 600s?

I don't know why -ss wouldn't work with DVDs, and don't have a DVD drive
handy to test things out on my side, but one point: -noodml is an
encoding-only option, it tells MEncoder to not write an OpenDML index
but just use the standard AVI index instead. It makes no sense in an
mplayer command line.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.