[MPlayer-users] mencoder record from stdin, mplayer avi rotate?

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Sep 12 19:58:48 CEST 2004

On Sun, Sep 12, 2004 at 07:03:37AM -0700, rcooley wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 06:00:13 +0200
> Brian Wiese <bwiese at cotse.com> wrote:
>
> > Now, can I save this rotated video output directly?
>
> There is no possible way to make any changes to a video stream, and NOT
> have to re-encode it.

actually with jpeg (and thus motion jpeg) it _is_ possible to rotate
without reencoding. see "man jpegtran". unfortunately there are no
tools to do this with the frames in an avi file, but in principle you
could easily write such a tool... it'd be a MUCH better idea than
reencoding, since reencoding will hurt quality a lot.

rich