[MPlayer-users] ogg

Ulrich Schweitzer us- at gmx.de
Sun Sep 12 20:17:15 CEST 2004

On Sunday 12 September 2004 20:03, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> avi container works only with constant-bitrate or constant-framerate
> audio. vorbis is neither.

ogg vorbis can be created with constant bitrate (with the --managed option
in oggenc). It's not recommended as vbr of course has a better quality,
but cbr is possible (and should have a better audio quality than mp3 at
the same bitrate).

> .ogm is a very bad format.

What's so bad about ogm? I have to admit, I don't know much about
container formats (I hadn't even heard about mkv and nut before), but
what I read about ogm a while back sounded good (multiple audio streams,
error tolerant, streaming support). Does it have any downsides?

Ulrich
--
PGP key ID: 0xDF6FC4FA

"A mouse is a device used to select the xterm you want to type in."
Author unknown