[MPlayer-users] X11 error

Asher Freese afreese at umr.edu
Fri Sep 17 04:11:27 CEST 2004

I've found a little error where mplayer (sometimes) doesn't want to share my soundcard.  I recently upgraded to an Asus A7V8X-X motherboard with a builtin VIA VT8235 AC97 soundcard, and using Alsa kernel drivers, it works fine.  If I don't have any other soundcard-using applications open, mplayer works normally.  However, when I have xmms open, mplayer gets to where it creates the window and starts to play the video, and crashes with this error.

"X11 error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)

MPlayer interrupted by signal 6 in module: flip_page
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
  It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
  gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
  DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
  won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.
Successfully enabled DPMS
Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0x5c)!"

Normally, I'd assume that this means that only one program can use the soundcard at once, except for 2 things.  First, I can run xmms and ut2004 at the same time with no sound problems, and second, if I start mplayer, pause it, start xmms, and unpause mplayer, mplayer will work fine.  Furthermore, mplayer will start up and run fine for the rest of the X session even if I have xmms running. (and I can even listen to both outputting sound through the speakers at the same time)
I'm running a fresh install of Slackware 10, 2.4.27 kernel (with official alsa 1.0.6 soundcard drivers & libraries).  This problem has occured with mplayer versions .92, 1.0pre5, and the cvs code as of 9/16/04-8:00pm.  The hardware is an Asus A7V8X-X mb with onboard VIA VT8235 AC97 sound chip, an Athlon 3000+ processor, and 512MB of ram.

This isn't a huge problem I'm having, but it is a little annoying.  Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Asher Freese