[MPlayer-users] Re: RealMedia - what RealAudio formats work?

Tony Robinson tony at tonyRobinson.com
Fri Sep 17 17:53:24 CEST 2004

Steve, rcooley at spamcop.net and Roberto,

Thanks a lot for your help - as I said before I had been going around in
circles (compilers, OSs, versions, options, codecs - quite a few
combinations).

The big breakthrough came just because you all said is should work.
It's a funny view you get when searching this digest - it's hard to see
what problems were later fixed.

I got it going on a Debian/unstable machine - not the one I was using
prior to your posts - it just needed that inspiration to try another
machine.  Both Debian machines are behinds NATS/firewalls, I think the
significant difference is the degree of forwarding/port blocking.
RealPlayer does work on both machines, I guess it has some fancy stuff
to make it work through complex firewalls that mplayer is missing.

In case anyone else is struggling with the same problem, including deb
ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main in
/etc/apt/sources.list and selecting mplayer-586, mplayer-doc and
w32codecs with aptitude was all I needed to do.  Fantastic if you know.

Thanks again,

Tony