[MPlayer-users] flickering artifacts

Ulrich Schweitzer us- at gmx.de
Mon Sep 20 16:30:42 CEST 2004

On Monday 20 September 2004 16:26, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> > "... hard on the drive ...". Can you explain a little more? It is the
> > DVD drive I suppose. Why does it give the "drive" more strain than
> > just reading?
>
> because it reads for 12+ hours instead of 2 hours. imo this is a
> non-issue though. just properly set the drive speed down to 1x and you
> should be fine.

The thing is that most drives cannot read slower than 1x but encoding
often is slower (depending the cpu and the codec settings, of course). So
the drive is not just reading, it is *seeking* the whole time you are
encoding.

Ulrich
--
PGP key ID: 0xDF6FC4FA

"A mouse is a device used to select the xterm you want to type in."
Author unknown