[MPlayer-users] flickering artifacts

Ulrich Schweitzer us- at gmx.de
Mon Sep 20 18:56:54 CEST 2004

On Monday 20 September 2004 17:32, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> 1x is 150k/s, about 1/8 realtime dvd playback speed. most cpus encode
> at least 3 fps, so i don't see a problem...

I was thinking about 1x-dvd but you are right, of course. Dvd drives are
able to read at 1x-cd. Still, when I encode directly from dvd the drive
led blinks like mad. On the other hand, it is on constantly when I'm
playing vcd, playing dvd or ripping to disk or blinking slowly and
regularly when I'm playing an avi from dvd-r.

The main reason, why I'm recommending to not encode directly from dvd is,
that a friend of mine did it and his drive died after about two dozen
movies. This could be a coincidence but I think it's better to play it
save (after all, hard disks are dirt cheap nowadays).
Of course, everybody can do what they want...

Ulrich
--
PGP key ID: 0xDF6FC4FA

"A mouse is a device used to select the xterm you want to type in."
Author unknown