[MPlayer-users] Re: "Core dumped :)" issue(?)

Stephen Stocker lpar at par1.net
Tue Sep 21 00:59:44 CEST 2004

  Hi,

  I'm not subscribed to the mplayer-dev list, but I've been reading
  comments about the message MPlayer gives after successfully dumping a
  stream (Core dumped:)).

  First, I'm far from a guru of any aspect of Linux, I'm just a
  tinkerer, somebody who can occasionally hack together a semi-decent
  shell script. I've been using MPlayer since sometime in 2001.

  Frankly, I never thought much about seeing a message that said "Core
  dumped :)" after successfully saving a stream, other than being glad
  that it worked. Never *once* did it bother me, and I'm baffled as to
  how anyone could be bothered by it!

  If you know enough to know what a core dump is, you also know that
  what MPlayer's doing is *not* it. A program which runs perfectly, then
  stops perfectly with a message saying "Core dumped :)" being confused
  with an actual problem??? Come on!

  If there's anybody around who ever thought that message signified a
  problem, they probably also need to be told that MPlayer works better
  when power is applied to the computer and monitor!

  This is just my opinion, but I find the message rather amusing, and
  about the most harmless thing imaginable.

  Steve