[MPlayer-users] please help with video capture

Ricardo Kleemann ricardo at americasnet.com
Mon Sep 27 15:52:35 CEST 2004

Thanks so much for your suggestion, Rich.

Since I'm very new to mencoder, could you please help me understand how to
do what you've outlined below:

> denoise the video extensively and use the decimate filter. you might
> also use some of lavc's advanced options for mpeg4...such as qns, nr,
> etc. but the main factor will be resolution. i've gotten watchable
> mpeg4 at 56kbit/sec using very low resolutions such as 128x96. you
> could try a little higher but remember both dimensions _MUST_ be
> multiples of 16 or quality will suffer severely, especially at such
> low resolutions.

IOW, how do I apply such options as qns, nr and how do I denoise the video,
"extensively" ?

Doesn't the decimate option also limit the sizing of the video? What size
should I utilize for 200kbps? Should I encode for power of 2 bitrate values
(56/128/256/512) or are intermediate bitrates (such as 200kbps) ok?

Thanks for your help!

Ricardo